- Bringing the new purpose to life is taken very seriously at Mercedes-Benz. It is a long journey from the first post on Linkedin to anchoring purpose in everyday business at Mercedes-Benz.
- The new version »First Move the World« seems to be an evolution, not a revolution of the old version with Mercedes-Benz as self-proclaimed solver of the »paradox of the success story of cars«. Overall, this evolution is a step forward, nevertheless there are also some disadvantages.
- The purpose initiative of Mercedes-Benz shows that »purpose« and »brand« are strongly linked to each other: purpose will only unleash its full potential if it is linked to a brand. From our external point of view, we see three potential tasks arising.
2. Comparison of both statements: evolution instead of revolution
- Option A: purpose 1.0 is the purpose of Daimler, purpose 2.0 is the purpose of Mercedes-Benz.
- Option B: purpose 2.0 is an evolution of purpose 1.0 and both refer to Mercedes-Benz.
- Assign »First Move the World« to the Daimler brand
- Specify »First Move the World« for the underlying product and service brands
- Define the relationship of the new brand purpose and brand identities
– e.g. for Mercedes-Benz the relation to its core »Ambition to lead« and its claim »The Best or Nothing«. Besides of the emotional benefit for end customers, this move will give guidance for day-to-day-work of employees as well. This accelerates the targeted internal change process once again.